Recently I held a meeting with a sales representative from a local company. The lady was hoping that I could help her to increase awareness of her company’s services amongst the Rise Up community. As this was a local company, I entered the meeting with every intention of helping where I could.
However, the lady soon lost my good intentions when it became apparent that:
- She didn’t truly understand why her service was of value to her potential customers
- She failed to consider the competitive landscape and competitive advantage that her company holds
- After mentioning the prospect of a discount for Rise Up clients she didn’t know what the offer actually was.
Ultimately, I was looking for a reason why her services would be of interest to Rise Up start-up businesses but she gave me nothing.
After reflecting on this meeting I believe that there are many lessons to be learned here:
- The importance of understanding your value you provide to your potential customers cannot be underestimated
- Create a compelling reason for your target audience to choose you ahead of your competition
- Enter meetings prepared and find a way to make it easy for your potential customer to say ‘yes’ that works for you too.
Without considering the above you are unlikely to achieve success.
Entrepreneurial Development Officer